How can I find a cheap and easy way to stay in spain indefinitely?

QuestionsCategory: General QuestionsHow can I find a cheap and easy way to stay in spain indefinitely?
Anonymous asked 3 years ago

I am a certified english instructor, who is also bilingual, working as an auxiliar for what will be a year now, but I don’t have any intention of renewing the auxiliar contract. I’m more interested in doing other kinds of work in Spain, i.e. freelance, service industry, teaching yoga, etc. I’m not really interested in teaching english for language academies, however, I am interested in teaching at a public school with an actual salary. How difficult is it to do that?

Also, if I want to renew my TIE do I have to go back home and get a new visa? Is there a way to get the residency while staying in Spain?

1 Answers
Shaheen S. answered 3 years ago

Hi there! I apologize for the slow reply, we are usually quicker! Have you checked out our “residency options” page? It explains the main ways to apply for work residency if you are already in Spain. Here you have the link:
There are basically two options that would probably be the best fit your situation: 
– Apply for a “highly skilled worker” visa, if you can manage to get a job offer that matches with your skills and pays at least about 25,000 euros a year. You can do that from Spain, as long as you’re not in the country “illegally.” Otherwise you can return to your home country to apply.
– If you are interested in freelancing, and have decent savings in the bank, you can apply for a work visa as a freelancer without a job contract. You can do most of the process from Spain, but would have to go the the US to pick up your visa. You need to show that you would have enough funds to get the business off the ground. A rule of thumb is around 10,000 euros for a freelance business, but it is subjective based on the calculations in your business plan and the opinion of the person reviewing your application. The more funds you can show, the better, of course. After working one year as a freelancer, you could apply for a different type of work residency the following year.
If you are interested in setting up a meeting with a lawyer who has done many of these types of applications, you can email !