Non lucrative Spain visa: Empadronamiento or Police – What comes first?

After getting the non lucrative Spain visa, and arriving to Spain, do I have to go to the police first (for the TIE residence card) and get the empadronamiento later? Or empadronamiento first, and police later?

Insights from Spainguru Facebook Community

“You’ll need the padrón first in order to apply to the police for the TIE”

“Empadronamiento first, then police”

“Padron at your local town hall for empadronamiento, then to the police for tie … alicante region for us … an appointment within in 2 weeks of nie and pick them up within the month, good luck with yours”

“You need the Empadronamiento first. Wait time after that up to twelve weeks”

“You actually get your NIE with the visa. Then get your padron, then go to the police station for your TIE.”


In conclusion, according to Spainguru Facebook group members, the sequence of steps to follow after obtaining a non lucrative Spain visa appears clear. The consensus suggests that acquiring the empadronamiento, or padrón, should be the initial priority. This empadronamiento certificate is typically required as a prerequisite when applying for the TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) at the police station. While there may be variations in processing times depending on your location, adhering to this sequence seems to be a common and practical approach for a smoother transition to residing in Spain. It’s important to note that individual circumstances may differ, and it’s advisable to check with local authorities or immigration experts for precise guidance on your specific situation.