Is there a Six-Month Spanish Visa Option for Longer Stays in Spain?


As a UK/Australian citizen, I’ve been limited since Brexit to the 90/180 days in the Schengen area. However, I own a home in Spain, and I would really like to spend a longer time there later this year (Six-Month Spanish Visa?).

I would be eligible for a NLV, but I don’t want to apply that for a few years, because of tax consequences in Australia where I live, but also I don’t want to commit to spending the large amount of time in Spain that is required.

I have heard of a Six-Month Spanish Visa that is available in some Schengen countries. My friend has just been issued one for Greece, as he wants to settle there for six months to write a book. Is there anything like this available for Spain? I haven’t been able to find anything online, but perhaps someone in this group can assist?”


These are the answers of Spainguru’s Facebook group members:

“Consider applying for a language student visa.”

“Never heard of a Six-Month Spanish Visa. No such visa in Spain.”

“But even if you get a six months visa (for example, as a language student), that will only temporarily solve your problem, for one year, but not permanent. The year after, you have to stay only 3 months.”

“My friend has been studying on language school visas for three years in Valencia.”

“The visa was for the length of the course plus a few weeks. Find an accredited school nearby and ask them for visa and course details.”

“One thing to know, the six-month program will need to be full time in order to obtain a student visa. ‘Full time’ for a language program is 20 hours per week.”

Is there a Six-Month Spanish Visa Option for Longer Stays in Spain?

“Obtaining an NLV doesn’t, in and of itself, change your tax residence. That only happens if you spend > 183 days in a calendar year In Spain.”

“Spain is not among the countries with which Australia has a bilateral agreement for an additional length of stay.”

“Don’t go the student visa route as it’s only temporary and you have to be taking classes or work as a language assistant. If you invest 500k€ in real estates you get a golden visa which automatically makes you a resident with no limit, I think.”

“With 90/180 you can spend up to 180 days a year in Spain but in two trips. Just split your time better with a decent Schengen calculator.”


The conversation among expatriates reveals a collective effort to navigate the complexities of staying in Spain for longer periods, especially after Brexit. For UK/Australian citizens owning property in Spain and wishing to extend their stay beyond the 90/180 rule, exploring options like the language student visa seems a viable path, albeit with certain requirements such as enrollment in a recognized full-time course.

While there’s no straightforward six-month visa similar to Greece’s, the discussion points towards a community willing to share experiences and advice, from the practicalities of visa applications to broader considerations like tax implications and residency status.

Previous articleTaxes for Americans Living in Spain: A Quick Guide
Next articleHow to Register a foreign marriage in Spain
Bruno Bianchi
Bruno Bianchi is the Director at SpainGuru, where he offers his expertise on Spanish immigration, visas, and residency. Over the years, he has been a guide for many navigating the intricacies of Spanish immigration & bureaucracy. In addition to his role at SpainGuru, Bruno anchors the SpainGuru YouTube channel. Through this platform, he shares valuable insights and updates on immigration matters, simplifying complex processes for a global audience. Bruno's dedication to providing clear and trustworthy information has made him a trusted figure in the community. In addition to his pivotal role at SpainGuru, Bruno boasts over 17 years of professional experience in several online platforms. With roles ranging from the COO and co-founder of and Sales director of the MAPSA Group, Bruno's diverse experiences (he holds 3 nationalities) and multilingual capabilities (he speaks 5 languages) make him a dynamic and influential figure in both the immigration and business sectors.