Transitioning from Spain Non Lucrative Visa to Spain Digital Nomad Visa


I currently have the Spain Digital Nomad Visa but my family is on the Spain Non Lucrative Visa, which will expire this summer. We want to go ahead and transfer them over to the Spain Digital Nomad Visa, but I’m not seeing a lot of guidance on the website.

I also emailed them, but haven’t gotten any response back yet. Mainly I’m not sure what documents I’ll need to upload. Does anybody know or have a link to an official list?


These are the answers of Spainguru’s Facebook group members:

“Hello! If they’re already in Spain, you can apply through the web portal of the UGE using your digital certificate. … See more”

“Alvaro Paz thanks so much for the reply. So we have been residing legally in Spain for more than 6 months. This means we don’t have to get a background check for my wife?”


Transitioning from the Spain Non Lucrative Visa (NLV) to the Spain Digital Nomad Visa (DNV) involves specific documentation and procedures, particularly for family members already residing in Spain under the NLV.

The process can be initiated through the UGE web portal using a digital certificate, simplifying the transition for those who already have legal residence status.

However, details such as whether a background check is necessary for family members can depend on the duration of their current legal residency, with more than six months possibly exempting them from this requirement.

For the most accurate and detailed list of required documents and procedures, direct contact with UGE or consulting their web portal is recommended.

Related article

A successful transition from Spain Non Lucrative Visa to Spain Digital Nomad Visa