Can I Work in Spain on a Student Visa with a “No Autoriza Trabajar” Clause?


I am a student at a language school and my NIE says “no autoriza trabajar.” So, is it possible to have a social security number and Work in Spain part time or no? And if there’s any solution, please let me know.


These are the answers of Spainguru’s Facebook group members:

Yes, if you apply for work permission. Here’s the link to the official requirements: “Autorización de estancia por estudios. Incluye anexos de Familiares y Trabajo cuenta ajena y propia. (HI 3)


According to the response from the Facebook group, students with a “no autoriza trabajar” clause on their NIE can indeed work part-time if they successfully apply for work permission. This provides a viable solution for those looking to support themselves while studying in Spain.

Explore detailed processes for application and requirements on the official website linked in the response to ensure compliance with local laws and regulations.

Simplified Summary of Authorization for Studies and Work for Students in Spain

Authorization to Stay for Studies:

  • Eligibility: Non-EU students staying longer than 90 days for full-time education.
  • Requirements:
  • Non-EU nationality, without exclusion orders in Spain.
  • Adequate financial resources: 100% of the IPREM monthly for personal support, plus additional amounts for family members if applicable.
  • Enrollment in an authorized educational program in Spain.
  • Health insurance coverage approved in Spain.
  • Clean criminal record from the last five years if over the age of criminal majority.
  • Application can be initiated within Spain or from abroad.
  • Documentation:
  • Valid passport or travel document.
  • Proof of financial means and health insurance.
  • Admission proof from an educational institution.
  • Application forms depending on where the process is initiated (outside or inside Spain).

Work Authorization for Students:

  • Types of Work Allowed: Part-time employment or self-employed, up to 30 hours per week, compatible with studies.
  • Application Process:
  • For Employed Work:
    • Employer submits the application.
    • Includes contract of employment, qualification proof, and compatibility statement.
  • For Self-Employed Work:
    • Student submits the application.
    • Includes business proposal, proof of qualifications or sufficient experience, and proof of investment.
  • Required Documents:
  • Application forms (different for employed and self-employed).
  • Passport or travel document.
  • Additional specific documents depending on the type of employment.
  • Procedure:
  • Submit at designated immigration offices or Spanish consulates.
  • Pay applicable fees.
  • Decision generally within a few months; silence implies rejection unless otherwise specified.

This streamlined overview provides essential information for non-EU students seeking to study and potentially work in Spain, outlining the main steps and requirements for both educational and work authorizations.