Study in Spain at NL College (Spain Student visa)

Applying for a long-term student visa can be overwhelming, but at NL College, we simplify the process. With our expertise in guiding students and collaboration with specialized visa lawyers, you’re in capable hands.

Enroll in Our Accelerated Spanish Course

Start your journey by enrolling in our Accelerated Spanish course. Once your course fee is paid, we’ll assist you through every stage of the visa application. Our aim is to streamline the process, allowing you to concentrate on learning and growing with us.

NL College is accredited by the Cervantes Institute

NL College Madrid and Barcelona have been accredited by Instituto Cervantes, which means it meets the conditions set by the Instituto Cervantes Accreditation System for Centres, the only international accreditation exclusively focused on the teaching of Spanish as a foreign language.

Important Considerations

  • Visa Application Options: Apply at the Consulate General of Spain in your home country or within Spain as a tourist. Remember, there’s a time limit for applying within Spain, so consult us for guidance.
  • Document Requirements: Ensure all documents are translated and apostatized.
  • Visa Renewal: Enroll in courses of 27 weeks or more for the option to renew your student visa in the future.
  • Additional Assistance: We partner with companies offering visa application assistance in Spain and other countries, available for an additional cost.

Documents Required

  • National visa application form
  • Recent photograph and valid passport
  • Enrollment letters from NL College
  • Proof of economic means (€600 per month of visa)
  • Criminal record certificate
  • Medical certificate
  • Residence permit
  • Visa fee payment (currently €80)

Note: Visa laws and requirements vary by country and are subject to change. Always consult an expert.

Helpful Information

  • Course Levels: We cater to all levels, from beginners to advanced learners.
  • Course Selection: Whether you’re in a hurry or planning a long stay, we have a course for you.
  • Visa Doubts: If you have any questions about the visa process, we’re here to help.

Start Your Spanish Adventure with NL College

Embark on an educational journey in Spain with NL College. Contact us to learn more and begin your path to a successful student visa application.

Barcelona or Madrid… or maybe, both?

NL College offers the flexibility to begin your classes on one campus and transition to another, as courses commence and conclude simultaneously across both campuses.


How many weeks do the students need to study in order to get a student visa?

For less than 90 days of study, students can get a visa type C. For more than 90 days but less than 26 weeks, students can get a visa type D “Closed” that cannot be extended. For courses longer than 27 weeks (half a year), students can get a visa type D “Open” that can be extended from Spain.

Can students extend their visa?

Students can apply for an extension of their student visa as long as their initial student visa type is type D “Open”. Initially, students get this type of visa for courses longer than 27 weeks (half a year). If their visa has a shorter duration, they have to return to their country and start the process again.

Are the teachers native Spanish speakers? What training do they have?

Yes. All our teachers are native Spanish speakers. They all have a university degree, special training in ELE (Spanish as a Foreign Language), and experience teaching Spanish to foreigners.

How many hours/weeks of Spanish do I need for a student visa?

In order to receive a student visa (visa D), students need to be taking a minimum of 20 hours per week. Less hours and courses per week are not acceptable for the Spanish Embassy/Consulate.

How long does the visa process take? How can I calculate in advance the start date of my Spanish course for a student visa?

You can apply for a visa from your country or from Spain (if you are already in Spain on a tourist visa). If you are applying from Spain, you will receive a reply from the Spanish consulate in 2 months. In your home country, it could be 1-2 months. Normally, the period of the visa process depends on the season of the year when you submit the application to the Spanish Embassy/Consulate in your country. Now you can calculate in advance the start date of your Spanish course at NL College and the start date of your Spanish health insurance for a long-term visa.

What long-term course packages do you offer?

We offer packages from 24 weeks to 42 weeks.

Do I have to pay the course fee in advance and in full?

Yes, payment for the weeks of the course in which you wish to reserve your place must be complete and paid in advance. In this way, your place for the duration of the entire course will be reserved. If you are applying for a student visa, it is also a requirement of the embassy that students pay for their long-term course before applying for the visa.

How many levels are there?

We teach from level A1 to C2.

How long does it take to complete a level?

It takes four weeks to complete a full level on our accelerated schedule. Check out our course progress table where you can compare how long it takes to complete each level for each type of Spanish course.

Will I be able to change my class if the level does not suit me?

Yes, if you feel that the level of your class is not adequate, we are always willing to re-evaluate you with the help of your Spanish teacher, and to place you in a different class, if appropriate. For this, you must speak directly with us: fill the form here

Is it necessary to buy the books?

Yes, it is mandatory to have your books for class. The student book and the workbook for your level are necessary to participate in the class and are available for purchase at reception, if they are not included in your study package.

Does the school help me with my visa?

Our multilingual team is ready to guide you in this very important step of your student exchange. We are available to answer any questions, and the school will provide all the necessary documentation regarding your studies. We also have a partnership with a law firm in Spain (Solicitor) that offers support as well for an additional cost with your visa application procedure and also with settling down visa packages in Spain.