How long does the process for reunification take?


Hi – I’ve (UK passport) received a job offer for a role in Spain and they’re willing to sponsor my application for an EU Blue Card visa. I’m looking to move with my partner (UK passport) and we aren’t married. 

Does anyone know if he would count under family reunification even though we aren’t married (we’ve been together for 10 years)? I’ve seen that we might have to compile some evidence but it isn’t very clear anywhere. 

Also, does anyone know how long the process for reunification takes? I.e. can he move there with me on the same day or do I have to be living there before he can join me? The process for reunification has me baffled.


These are the answers of some Facebook group members:

“Register as a formal couple here is relatively easy I hear from a friend… best to ask an immigration lawyer, don’t risk it”

“´ I´m pretty sure that once you have secured your resident status in Spain, your partner can apply to be reunited .from within -Spain because as you are already resident in an EU country, and in posession of the long term EU residence card or at least the permanent card, I assume, the rules should be the same as for an EU citizen? . but collate all the possible evidence you have. as they are not very easy on partnerships which do not have any form of legal standing, . .People mention joint bank accounts, rental agreements, travel docume ts where you have travelled together, going back as far as you can . . You are resident in another EU country I assume, so I imagine that once your visa is sorted, and you are in Spain, you can start the process for your partner. B ut please take more notice of what admin say . . they are the experts!.”

“It seems to vary from area to area – I know Granada recognises civil partnerships but Almería are a little more difficult about it. It will very much firstly depend on what area you are moving to”

“From a Spaniard married to a UK citizen, I recommend you to either get married or register as “pareja de hecho”. They will ask for documents and depending on the area and team working on your case, they will favour one more than the other. The law may say one thing, but the reality is that it can vary depending on where you are. I would go for a marriage certificate and with the “apostille”, or get married in Spain.”

“Research Pareja de Hecho. It’s like a third option of formalising your relationship, after marriage and civil partnerships. As mentioned above, it’s easier if you’re a Spanish citizen, but if you’re a resident you should be able to do it too (won’t be quite as straightforward). Pareja de Hecho can be formalised by a Notario and it’s inexpensive – I paid €112 two years ago in Barcelona province. Definitely get advice from immigration specialists – would your new employer know anyone suitable? Another option might be a Spouse visa – ask your new employer first – if they want you they should be prepared to fund this too. In all cases you will be required to provide proof of relationship – look initially at names on household bills, mortgages, rent agreements, joint bank accounts, etc. You’ll be asked to sign a declaration of no impediment in the case of PdeH which is a document that states you are not married to anyone else. Whatever you decide it’s definitely achievable and I wish you the best of luck.”

Useful links: