Can my wife apply for a Spanish Non Lucrative Visa if I meet the financial requirement, and how can we ensure our health insurance is valid in Spain?


My family (me and my son are German, my wife is American) want to move to Spain at the end of the year. As I don’t want to register myself in Spain, I figured she can apply for the Spanish non lucrative visa.

  • Financial Statement. The amount of 28.8k€. Does it need to be in her bank account? Or can it be in a bank account under my name?
  • Regarding health insurance they ask for an insurance which is authorized to operate in Spain. How do I know that our insurance does operate there?
  • Criminal Record. She only stayed in Indonesia for more than 180 days the last 5 years. So we need a police report with an apostille issued by the local police department and translated to spanish?


These are the answers of some Facebook group members:

“yes the bank account can be on your name, but she will have show the marriage certificate and you will need to write a letter, the health insurance has to be from Spain, and the criminal records has to be from the country where she has been resident from the last 5 years.”

”In my experience, financial means different when applying for NLV and renewal. When applying for NLV, financial means need more than 28,8K Euro. you need to show enough financial means savings plus passive income as much as you can. Actually there is no exact amount of how much it should be.. The more, the better. All financial statement should be under the name of applicant. So your wife name. I do not know where your wife applies. If she lives in Bali, Indonesia, more than 180 days, your wife should apply in Bali, Indonesia. It depends how long she lives in Bali but normally criminal records is for 5 years record. So, if she lives in Bali in Indonesia for less than 5 years, probably, the Spanish embassy in Indonesia could ask for further criminal record in previous country, here maybe in America? if she lived there before. So you may need one criminal record in Indonesia and another in USA, in case. You need to check this with the Spanish embassy in Indonesia first. All criminal records must be appostiled. But I am not sure if Indonesia is in the member of this apositle. There must be a kind of official criminal check or good conduct letter by the government. So you need to check this in Indonesia. If the government issues this kind, and in English, possibly no need to translate into Spanish, but all things depend on Spanish embassy in Indonesia. The health insurance must be in Spain, by Spanish local health insurance company. There are several private health insurance companies in Spain Adeslas, Sanitas,etc.. Here you can find info about them all and agents too. All visa issues are fully depending on each country’s embassy. So they have all. NLV is only issued by Spanish embassy. So check all in Spanish embassy in Indonesia first.”

”Here are a few pointers. I am going through the process with my husband as my dependant so I am primary applicant ( I know you asked about your income and I believe it’s possible but she will have to be the primary applicant if you won’t be) 1. The primary applicant must prove income of 400% of the Spanish IPREM which for 2023 is 600 euros per month for themselves (for each dependant add a further 100%). So 2400 euros a month for her only. It can be passive income, savings or a mix of both. 2. My consulate in Canada has asked for 3 months, bank certified statements, all to be translated by an official translator. My income comes into multiple accounts so translation was expensive. Canada is not part of The Hague agreement so no apostille required here. Some consulates ask for 12 months worth. 3. Her health insurance must be issued by a Spanish based insurer that operates OUT OF Spain, not just IN Spain. It must meet and be equivalent to the Spanish health system with no copay. You will be required to pay for it up front as the consulate will want to see your certificate as part of your application. 4. A valid passport that has at least 2 years left on it and proof of address that you live in the juradisdiction of the consulate you are applying through area ( this can be a driver’s licence) 5. A criminal records check that includes a mug shot and fingerprints from all countries you have lived in for the past 5 years. This needs to be government (of the country you are applying from) authenticated ( if not part of the Hague) or apostilled ( if part of the Hague). Then legitimized by the Spanish Consulate. Same goes for marriage certs and any other public documents. These have to be translated as a requirement by my consulate. Public documents must have been in issued within the past 90 days to be valid. 6. A medical certificate signed by a doctor with very specific wording saying she is free of infectious diseases that are a public health threat as provided by The International Health Regulations of 2005. Also issued within 90 days. 7. 3 application forms. I have mine filled out in Spanish. One recent passport photo. 8. The application fee in cash or as a bank draft. It’s hefty ( about 800 CAD) 9. You may be required to book an appointment with the consulate to apply, or be allowed to mail in. Ours is by in person appointment only. So as you can tell this process is not for the feint of heart! Consulate requirements can vary quite a lot, so your first port of call is the website of the consulate in the country you reside that covers your area. It’s the only way to know exactly what documentation and authentication they want from you”

”If you stay longer than 90 days you are obliged to register yourself for a Spanish green card anyway. Once you do that your wife can reside as long as you do and get a residency card. Surely that’s got to be easier than the alternative”

In conclusion, according to Spainguru Facebook group members, obtaining a Spanish Non Lucrative Visa involves demonstrating financial means, providing specific documents, securing appropriate health insurance, and adhering to consulate-specific requirements. Consider alternative residency options like a green card for extended stays. Research and contact your local Spanish consulate for precise application details, as they can vary. Best of luck with your visa application journey.