Will we owe capital gains tax on our UK house sale when moving to Spain for the Non Lucrative Spain Visa?


Will we be liable for capital gains tax on the sale of our UK house when we become residents in Spain, even though we have the financial means for the Non Lucrative Spain Visa (NLV) without the sale proceeds?


These are the answers of some Facebook group members:

”I asked the same question to my agent yesterday So……tax yr is 1st January till 31st December if u sell ur house in UK before 31st December and u can step into Spain from 1st Jan and no capital gains. our house sale may run into jan/Feb so we can’t go to Spain until july/August to avoid the tax”

”Unlike the 183 days in Spain = taxes – I’m unsure if you are a tax residence from day one in Spain on NLV”

”There are many comments and posts regarding this. My wife and I are in a similar position intending to move next year. We have arranged a meeting with a Spanish Tax Lawyer while we are visiting Spain next month to know exactly where we stand regarding taxes etc. Don’t rely on everything you read on forums. There are many websites that provide information on taxes. I would research them but always seek professional advice from Spanish tax experts. What applies to one person may not apply to your situation”


In conclusion, according to Spainguru Facebook group members, it is recommended selling a UK house before the tax year ends and entering Spain afterward to potentially avoid capital gains tax.

However, uncertainty exists around NLV-related tax residency, emphasizing the need for professional advice from Spanish tax experts. Recommendations include consulting a Spanish Tax Lawyer for accurate information. It is advised not to solely rely on forum discussions and to consider individual circumstances when making decisions about tax implications.