Can someone on a Spain Non Lucrative Visa buy and own a hospitality business to collect dividends?


Can holders of a Spain Non Lucrative Visa (NLV) in Spain purchase and own a business, specifically in the hospitality sector, where they would act as owners collecting dividends?


These are the answers of some Facebook group members:

”Surely that’s classed as working”

”I would suggest speaking to a lawyer to ensure you get sound advice”

”I think the answer is that no one here, actually ‘knows’. It sounds a good idea if done as Peggy suggests, but I agree with Mari. I’d want a reputable Spanish lawyer to tell me it’s compliant with my NLV requirements”

”Sounds like golden visa to me. But best to ask the consulate”

”As long as you’re not directly involved in any way and as long as you’re not claiming expenses (like internet, etc from a home office). Or getting directors fees. It should be OK. You’ll need to declare the dividends or profit drawdown in your personal tax return each year. Do it properly, there’s less risk of a visa renewal application being denied. Also, get good immigration advice on this”

”I think Not”


”I was able to convert to autonomo after one year. But, the taxes and fees are tremendous”


In conclusion, according to Spainguru Facebook group members, some believe it might be considered working, which could violate Spain non lucrative visa rules, while others suggest seeking legal advice. A few think it’s possible if there’s no direct business involvement and dividends are properly declared. However, opinions vary, and some outright believe it’s not allowed. The general recommendation is to consult with legal and immigration experts for accurate guidance.