Can I switch from a Job-seeking Visa to a work permit Spain after 1 year?

Question about work permit Spain

I just completed an official master’s degree in Barcelona. As a non-EU student, I have the possibility of applying for a job-seeking visa (valid 2 years). I talked to a lawyer and they said that if I do it, I won’t be able to switch it into a work permit Spain until after 1 year, which makes zero sense to me. Could anybody confirm that the info is true?


These are the answers of some Facebook group members:

”Following as I plan to do this. I do agree it makes no sense. He may have confused the rules for NLV where I think you need to be there for a year with that Visa before applying for jobs/getting a work permit”

”I was more or less in the same situation as you. I’m speaking from memory now, so you’ll want to verify: you can find work whenever you want in that first year, but you would still be judged against whether or not the company could find a European citizen for that job (aka it would probably have to be a high-skilled job for you to have a shot). After the first year of residency of any kind, that requirement goes away and it’s much easier to get approved. This is probably what the lawyer was referring to. I decided to get a prácticas residency (internship) but I’d found a company before my student residency expired. Anyway, that’s what I remember from my research on it at the moment, but hopefully, someone who knows better can provide info”

”I am going to apply for this in a few weeks as well. I heard something like you said as well but I have no idea”

”Importance of knowing a lawyer who knows the procedure rather than guessing”

In conclusion, according to Spainguru Facebook group members, the lawyer in question might be mistaken. There is no requirement to wait one year before switching a job-seeking visa to a work permit in Spain. However, there is a one-year rule that applies to all non-EU citizens who are applying for a work permit, regardless of their visa status. This rule states that the company that wants to hire you must first prove that they cannot find a qualified European citizen to fill the position. This rule is waived after one year of residency in Spain’.