Will my 90 day Spain student visa for a 10 month program be extended when I get my TIE?

Question about Spain student visa

I just received my Spain student visa type D but it says the duration is 90 days. I’m confused as my program is 10 months long. Is this a mistake or is it extended when I get my TIE?


These are the answers of some Facebook group members:

”The way it works is this. You have been granted the right to reside in Spain for 10 months. It’s a condition of that Residence right that you apply for an identity card, the TIE. Separately, and to facilitate your entry into Spain, you’ve been given a 90-day visa”

”When you arrive in Spain with your visa you must then apply for TiE. This is also one of your visa requirements”

”The stamp on your passport has more to do with legal entry to Spain and application for your TIE. The real doc then will be the TIE”

”Can I ask how long it took for the study visa? I was told it takes 4 months when applying from Malaga. I might need to apply for one to buy myself some time while I’m house hunting in Spain”


In conclusion, according to Spainguru Facebook group members, the study visa type D you receive with a 90-day duration is a temporary entry visa, allowing you to enter Spain and start the process of obtaining your TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero), which will serve as your official residence permit for the duration of your 10-month program.

The 90-day visa is meant to facilitate your initial entry into Spain and to give you time to complete the TIE application process. It’s crucial to apply for the TIE once you arrive in Spain to ensure your legal residence during your program. The visa duration will not cover your entire 10-month program; the TIE will provide that official authorization.