Non Lucrative Visa Spain: Can Moving Regions Affect My Visa Renewal?


We are currently in our first year of Non Lucrative Visa Spain and we are based in Catalunya. From our travels, we feel like we want to move to either Galicia, Asturias or Bilbao in the next few months.

Will I have a problem renewing my NLV or even will it be harder to renew if I do it from a different region? I know I will have to Padron and all with my new city but I guess I wanted to ask has anyone gone through something like this that you changed regions and had a successful renewal?


These are the answers of Spainguru’s Facebook group members:

“No difference whatsoever.”

“Same as where you went to get your initial TIE. Most cities will have the Extranjeria. Once you decide where you want to move to you would make the appointment there. But first get the Padron. You can start the renewal as early as 60 days prior to your expiration and up to 90 days after.”

“You do not get your Visa renewed, you actually renew your TIE. It’s best to get the new Padron if your move is close to the renewal date. The only difference is that you will have a new address. Your new TIE will have your new address and renewals are good for two years, not one.”

“Plenty of people move all over Spain. When you get settled at the new place, bring your lease and use it to apply for the Padron in your new city. Then apply for the renewal of your residency (TIE).

Renewing your TIE involves submitting your financials again and translations and the proper forms and fees and proof of insurance. Included would be new fingerprints that they take at the Extranjeria in your new town.”

“The regulation is that you need to prove residence at a fixed address that is pertinent to the province you will apply to for renewal. Hence you need to produce a copy of your pardon (freshly dated copy no more than 3 months old).

Providing you have that in place for presentation at your appointment there is nothing to stop you from getting a new address in between time – just make sure you can be at the appointment and subsequent collection of your new TIE.”

“When renewing your Non-Lucrative Visa (NLV) in Spain, the process involves two stages: renewal of the non-lucrative visa followed by renewal of the TIE card. This renewal process is typically done electronically through the Oficina de Extranjería (Foreigners Office) in the province where you reside.”


Renewing a Non Lucrative Visa Spain while changing regions within the country does not generally pose significant difficulties, provided the necessary bureaucratic processes are correctly followed.

Key steps include updating the Padron and TIE to reflect the new address and ensuring all paperwork is timely and correctly submitted to the local Extranjeria. Successful renewal can be straightforward with proper preparation and adherence to regional requirements.