Spain Non Lucrative Visa: How to Succeed with Minimum Funds


Has anyone gotten a Spain Non Lucrative Visa approved only with minimum funds (28,800€) in the bank for the last 12 months?”


These are the answers of Spainguru’s Facebook group members:

“Very few are approved on minimum. It’s advised to exceed minimums.”

“For your one and three-year renewal, you’ll have to show twice the minimum in most areas because the renewals are for two years.”

“Savings aren’t taxed, so there’s no problem transferring them to Spain. You can use a foreign bank account and financial statements as proof of funds, but you’ll need to have them certified translated, and they’ll probably want a stamp or notarized letter from the bank verifying the funds, also certified translated. Every area has slightly different rules, so you should check with a gestor in your area familiar with visas.”

“It is advisable to always have a little more than the minimum. You can show a lease on a property etc., that you let, as proof of income.”

“It will depend on the consulate, but you have to prove that you have the liquid money in the account. They could ask for bank statements for the last 6 months to a year to see the average balance. Property rental contracts can also be used to demonstrate that you have a steady income.”

“I think (anyone correct me if I’m wrong) that if it’s social security income or disability social security income it will be okay.”

“I know plenty of retirees that clear 3k a month some even 4k from social security here in the states. They recently put a cap I believe of somewhere under $3800 a month or so. It’s not a high percentage that get that, but neither is it uncommon.”


Applying for the Spain Non Lucrative Visa requires careful financial planning, with applicants advised to exceed the minimum fund requirement of €28,800 to improve their chances of approval.

For renewals, applicants may need to demonstrate double the minimum amount. Transferring savings from overseas to meet these requirements is common, and such transfers are not taxed. However, all foreign financial documents must be certified and translated.

Alternative proofs of income, such as property leases, can also be considered, depending on the consulate’s requirements. Consulting with a gestor or legal advisor familiar with Spanish visa applications can provide tailored advice and support throughout the process.